Tuesday, October 9, 2012

WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE, #97




1. Ways I indulge myself:  drink a dolce cinnamon grande @ *bux,
get an American pedicure or
order sushi and walnut-honey chicken for dinner.

2. Having never taken a cooking class, I'm open to any type of class...but I would LOVE to learn how to make a really GOOD 'hot & sour' Chinese soup. 

3. The meaning of "being a good citizen"...
taking responsibility for yourself and your family's well being;
paying your own way;
saving for your future and paying off your bills;
reading/listening/talking with others and being up-to-date on issues and 'histories' of candidates so you can participate in this Republic and VOTE with knowledge rather than because of some one's looks;
stepping up and speaking out when you witness illegal activities and helping when needed;
showing up for jury duty.

4.  Political ads irritate me when they center on the negative rather than the positives of their platform....
they DO NOT influence my vote;
my knowledge influences my vote.

5.  I saw something today that makes me glad I'm not a kid again:



http://www.teachthought.com/industry/10-surprising-things-banned-in-schools-today/
 (am I the only one; can people not see that this is RIDICULOUS!??)

6. My least favorite cliche probably is: You can't teach an old dog new tricks...I believe as long as we breathe we can continue to learn.

7.  So far, I've completed about 20% of my overall Christmas shopping and this makes me happy...last year I didn't start until December 1.

8.  My random thought: 
 
I've been contemplating whether or not to let hubs invite friends over to play now that he has retired...
 
I can just imagine their getting into all kinds of mischief:
 
 

 












John 8:31 "If you continue in my word, then you are truly Disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free."
Blessings,

11 comments:

Joyce said...

That list makes me kind of sad. I took a Thai cooking class a few years ago and loved it!

'My knowledge influences my vote'...if only everyone who votes could say that : )

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Wow, I needed this laughter today. No, don't let your husband invite his friends over. Think chips in couch cushions, lots of unidentifiable smells, miscellaneous screws, nuts, and bolts lying around, etc.

As for what's not allowed in schools, well, I can see we made a good decision to homeschool. It's getting worse by the hour for those in public schools. No thanks.

Love you, friend.
~elaine

Lea also known as "CiCi" said...

Great answers and I wouldn't let Hubby play with his friends either. How cute!

Happy fall!

Cathy said...

Love the maturity poster. Too funny!

Lighthousegal said...

Schools definitely are not what they used to be. When I was in school we began every day with a Bible reading and saying the Pledge of Allegiance. We said a prayer before each and every sporting event and every classroom had the Ten Commandments posted in it. We had snack machines and soft drink machines, parties for every holiday, and dances. We respected our teachers even if we didn't agree with them. And, I think we turned out Just Fine!!

HOOTIN ANNI said...

I loved your answer to #6 and so agree with you. As for your #3....that could pertain to our own government too.

jen @ grown in southern ground said...

good answer for #6... i couldn't think of one

LynnMarie said...

I like your answer to #3. Well said! I feel sad for schools now - everything is off limits and all you are left with is how to be tollerant of others (of course they don't have to be tollerant of you)!

Kristin_Texas said...

Oh my gosh, I love that poster. Lol!

Kristin

Andrea said...

Blessings and prayers,
andrea

Sassy Granny ... said...

When I think of my school years (the 50s & 60s), it is with the greatest fondness. Today's schools barely resemble them.

That photo could have MY retired husband in it. Bwahahahaha