Thursday, December 3, 2009

SHOW & TELL FRIDAY..."LESS FRU FRU"

JOINING CINDY @ MY ROMANTIC HOME ...

Thankfully...we're having a 'Charlie Brown' Christmas at our house this year...

One with much less 'fru fru' ...much less out on the tables, counter tops and walls.

Usually I decorate top to bottom...
but this year, I'm participating in a 'pittance' sort of way.

My foyer...usually hosts our hand-painted nativity scene, which is surrounded completely...Completely by:
angel pictures on the wall,
angel peel-and-stick murals on the windows,
angel votives on the staircase,
and even angel stakes in the plants ...
you know, those little metal or plastic decorations you stick in your potted plants.


This year's foyer, however, will be somewhat lonely...
with ONLY an 18" Charlie Brown Christmas tree on the curio cabinet...
the cartoon stick-on Charlie Brown nativity on the front-door sidelite windows...
and a full-sized, decorated Christmas tree in the living room
(couldn't get be without one...it is DD's senior year and all...)
CLICK THE PIC...for a LARGER view...

ALL THE MYRIAD of angels will remain wrapped and tucked away until next year's Holy Season. Their singing will be muffled by all the tissue paper and bubble wrap surrounding them.

The candles will last another year without having to be lit during the celebration and the green, potted plants will let out an 'ignored sigh' as they realize the angels won't be hovering around them for the next three weeks.

Now don't think I'm all depressed and stuff...I'm not.
We'll still be celebrating the Season while eating, singing, wrapping, unwrapping and going to worship.

There's something very FREEING about taking an abbreviated approach this year...
My feet will certainly appreciate not having to traipse up and down both sets of steps while pulling everything from the basement.
And, I could almost hear my 'knees' preparing a serenade... singing their joys of not getting 'pounded' each time I reached the basement concrete floor.

Even my arms and neck are readying to sing in harmony knowing the 'unusual overexertion' won't be happening in 2009.

All this 'true-to-life' relief will be opening my calendar (for those several hours worth of time that would have been decorating)...

... shopping and cooking without feeling it flying by too quickly.

...planning a new 'knitting project' for the shawl ministry.

Yes, Charlie Brown's simplicity ... seeking to be 'less complicated'
Yes, the child-like simplicity...
Yuletide's best decorations: wreaths of smiles, and being wrapped in hugs.


Blessings,

20 comments:

Pat & Ron Harris said...

Sometimes simplicity is the best. I had to move to a smaller house where there just isn't any room to fully decorate and I have enjoyed it tremendously at Christmas. I have a tree, a wreath on the door, a couple candles. It's restful. I hope you enjoy your simple Christmas as much as I do.

Shirley said...

I'm doing the same. For the first time since I was a married adult! I'm not having Christmas Eve at my house. My son and family are having it. (Easier with the 2 little ones) So I'm just putting up my little skinny charllie brown tree too and just the other things I want to look at.

Cindy ~ My Romantic Home said...

That Charlie Brown tree is so cute!!!

Jeanne Selep said...

Snoopy!

Vicki said...

I like your idea of focusing on what is really important during the Christmas season! I am keeping things simple at my home, too. Blessings to you! Vicki

Sassy Granny ... said...

I've enjoyed a few abbreviated Christmases myself. And, while many of my friends & family thought me daft, I had as much fun/joy then, as when I've labored long for "the look".

In fact, for the past 15 years I do very little shopping. Hubby and I do not exchange gifts at all (we have so much already), and I give the grandchildren money so they can select their own gift. So it's just my special projects (aka women's shelter, child in Ethiopia, etc.) that get my full on shopping attention. Even then, it requires little fuss.

Enjoy your quieter yet rich days. It's such a "Mary vs Martha" approach!

Kathleen

Hootin' Anni said...

Awwwwwwwwwww, sweet. Now I'm gonna have the Peanuts Theme Song going through my mind all day.

Come see what I did with my blue cobalt glass candle holder I found at the antique store...


CLICK HERE

Robyn said...

We are downsizing our Christmas a decor here a bit too. Doesn't take away the reason for the season!

PattieJ said...

Love your "Charlie Brown Tree" I am decorating a bit here but now like past years. And we are cutting are shopping down to something small for each one of our kids. Less stressful I think...

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

Glad the tree is up and your house is decked! I know even with the "minimal" decorations you will "maximize" the reason for the season! One day when we are old and grey...oh I forgot we are already old and grey, well anyway we should all go to the beach or the mountains and have a combine Christmas celebration together.

R

Kelee Katillac said...

Hi Susan!

I SOOOOOO agree. I do a "one bag" xmas!

All decor in a bag--and very freeing.

Stop by--would love to meet you!

love,kelee

Lora said...

Sounds like you're having a relaxed Christmas:) That's wonderful! And I think you're little CB tree is adorable!

My Grama's Soul said...

Sometimes - less is more.

Blessings to you,

Jo

Beth@The Quilt Ladies said...

I have finished the queen size quilts for our 2 married children. The Quilt were a good idea in July, would have been so much easier to shop and give.

Dianna said...

I have a couple Charlie Brown Christmas trees too. I prefer simple over cluttered.

Andrea said...

You have an award at arise 2 write.
andrea

ALWAYS THE ABRAMYANS said...

What a wonderful idea! It centers the focus on family.. and that is what really matters isn't it? Thank you for sharing. -April

Tricia Anne said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate the season! We too are on the same page. Less is more you know. :o) We would rather have a few things that are near and dear to our hearts than lots of "stuff". :o)
Love your Charlie Brown! That taps into a very special place in my heart. :o)
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Blue Creek Home said...

I had to giggle about the "body parts" singing!! Mine have been singing loudly enough for both of us!

I love the Charlie Brown tree and what it's simplicity represents to you and your family.

I did pull out everything!!! No Christmas sound is muffled by tissue at this point. Ask my bones!!!

I'm following! Come over sometime!
Rhonda

the wild raspberry said...

i like the tree with one ornament...that is a great statement.
happy holidays~
chasity