Sunday, December 13, 2009

UNCLE RC TRIBUTE


With sadness but lots of love
A tribute/remembrance of Uncle RC...
died December 13, 2009...

“A smile is worth a million intentions”.

I pondered the above quote...deeply it sank into my head while driving home from my aunt and uncle's 60th wedding anniversary last March...

Previously that afternoon probably 20 or more strangers were greeting the family...several people I had known as a child but didn’t recognize their faces due to time and gravity. The one thing remaining...their smiles….I recognized their smiles in their eyes.

Now 80-something...His eyes were bright yet vacant…his eyes were not the same. What remained from my childhood years, though, was his smile. God gave him the strength that day to be with their visitors while concentrating on their faces, trying to pull up any recognition.

He......loved children

...would take us outside to ride motorcycles

...played with the dogs while teaching us to skip rocks over the lake.

...built a get-away cabin in the woods for hunting, fishing and cooking outdoors

... loved his dogs, Yssup (a larger boxer who could eat you--but he was very gentle

...enjoyed his hand-cleared property--pasture, lake...he loved to walk the perimeter.

...refurbished musical instruments--I still play the flute he refinished for me.

...played bluegrass on his guitar, banjo and mandolin in his basement.

...loved going to Waffle House, having coffee with his old “Southern Bell” buddies.

My uncle and my daddy had the same smile…I could see my Daddy each time my uncle smiled...I could hear his laugh, too, and I would get to enjoy a little of Daddy through my uncle. I believe...he is gone from us, but is present with the Lord, and my Daddy.

I pray he is enjoying 'catching up' with my Daddy...and with RC's son, Charlie, who died in 1990...maybe they both were waiting for Uncle RC to join them in the place Christ has been preparing for us!

"I love you and will miss you, R.C. Hug my Daddy for me! It gives me peace knowing you are already together. Save me a seat at the Lord's banquet table.

"So please let your heart be joyful
and let your spirit sing
for I'm spending Christmas in heaven
and I'm walking with the king."

Blessings,



12 comments:

VIOLETA said...

Hello from Romania ,
please read the blog – My heart His words – at Humbled and convicted , my friend Tammy Nischan wrote them the story and some pictures of some hungryes poors kids , what we try to help them for Christmas .Our LORD will be so proud of us if we will do something!
I love you blog,
sweet blessings and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Violeta

sara said...

oh, this was so sweet. what a beautiful tribute to your uncle!! praying for you and your family as you celebrate his life but also as you miss his presence and smile.

2Thinks said...

Such a blessing to have family, who know and love the Lord Jesus! This was a sweet post. I am sorry for your loss, but also know he is livin' like there's no tomorrow- because for him, there's only the best for the rest of his eternal life!

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

Sittin here with my puppy curled up next to me.

I know you are thankful for the assurance of where Uncle R.C is resting now.

R

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

What a beautiful tribute you wrote for your Uncle RC. You know, he is looking down upon you and now smiling with clarity once again. He is rejoicing with our Father and his family.

...peace to you, sweet friend....

much love,
Becky

Catherine Anne said...

Love your blog!

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Love your blog and the tribute was beautiful

Sassy Granny ... said...

What a precious remembrance! No doubt you were as much a blessing to him as he was to you.

My deepest condolences,
Kathleen

Lallee said...

I am so sorry for your family loss. That is a wonderful tribute to your uncle!
Hugs,
Lallee

Kim said...

Wonderful tribute to a man who sounds like a true southern gentleman! What lovely memories you have of him.

I'm finally caught up on the sleep lost the other night when our daughter arrived -- and we didn't sleep at all! :-) Thanks for praying!

Having a great time relaxing together, watched her favorite Christmas movie today -- White Christmas. She brought Julie & Julia with her but we're saving that for this coming week while we're in Sta. Rosa.

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!!! And abundant New Year's blessings.

Greg C said...

You uncle will be celebrating Christmas this year with our savior, Jesus. I am sure he is at peace now. He sounds like he was a wonderful person.

Cecelia---Sis---Mom said...

What a beautiful tribute. Sending hugs and wishes for a Merry Christmas.

Cece