Thursday, April 15, 2010


April and May are infamous for their "end-of-year" activities...recitals, performance festivals, large group competitions, etc. So, this week Linda has asked us to participate answering these:
Did you take lessons as a child? Piano or another instrument?
My parents didn't go in for expensive, formal lessons but I was fortunate to enjoy piano beginning in second grade up through seventh grade...one of our local church pianists had classes and my mother would take me to her house for my 30-minute class in her 'closed in garage'.
In fifth grade, I started playing the trumpet in our school band, which met twice I week, I believe (funny how I don't remember specifically what days...I do believe they were after school because our band director taught at multiple schools and we 'shared' her. I was excited with my progress...which was probably enhanced by my piano lessons...I made honor band each year through 7th grade. Honor Band was fun because we got turquoise "vests" and new formal, long-sleeve shirts ... we LOOKED SHARP!, which is much better than 'flat', hahahaha...bad, I know.
After we got over our "bad" selves in our 'uniforms', we had to calm down and perform with the other school honor students in two concerts at local malls and various large-group festivals and competitions. Those days of 'public' performance gave me such motivation to continually improve which carried on into high school.
Gymnastics or dance?
Gymnastics was a large part of my life for many years, especially from toddlerhood into high school...we learned some dance routines on my high school team but I didn't take any formal dance classes.
Other types of lessons?
After second and third grades, I took "baton" twice-a-week for 6 weeks each summer at the local recreation center...learning two routines and finishing with a performance for our parents.
I ALWAYS wanted to be a majorette...it was going to be my career, don'cha know??
How much were you required to practice between lessons?
Mom stayed on me pretty good about my 'piano'...I would comply but became disgruntled quickly when my fingers wouldn't DO what I wanted them to do. It took me a while to get patient with myself to know it took LOTS of time getting those ten little things to retain their 'motor memory' while playing the songs.
My trumpet wasn't pushed as much by my Mom...and I know she wanted me to be successful playing my horn, but she didn't prod me as much. (Now that I've had a child of my own, I can understand her 'lack of enthusiasm' for my horn...which many times, especially in my first two years, my command of the cornet sounded like an injured dying cow...I don't blame her for 'protecting' her ears and protecting the family from receiving threatening phone calls from local neighbors.
Did you participate in recitals? If so, do any of them stand out in your memory?
More recitals and performances than I can count...go here for my most embarrassing moment performing a half-time show my senior year...and Liddie, I found a picture and downloaded it.
Did they foster a love or a hate for that activity?
LOVED performing :)
Did you want to take lessons in a certain thing that you never got to?
flute and guitar...had to teach myself how to play it...so, I'm not very good
And if you have kids now, how did your experiences with taking lessons like these impact the activities you had/have them do?
I've always encouraged DD to do her best by being punctual to her extra practices and performances knowing how important they are for your success during performance. She never enjoyed playing an instrument but she loves to sing!

Jer. 33:3
"Call to me and I will answer you
and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know."
Blessings,

11 comments:

Nel said...

Wow, you just took all kinds of things. That is so cool. Oh I forgot I did take guitar at night school after I got out of high school, but that did not work out to well. Little hands and short fingers have a hard time with chords. lolol
until next time... nel

Teresa Dawn said...

Sounds like you took similar lessons to me :) I also started band in 5th grade and took piano for years.

quilly said...

Wow! You were busy. The only lessons I took willingly in the summer time were swim lessons! I pretty much lived in the lake and only came out reluctantly for meals and bed.

Mary said...

Aren't band memories the BEST? And why is it that it's always the drummers giving everybody a hard time?! I was in band in college as well, and, since I still couldn't get enough of it, was a guard instructor for area bands for 6 years!

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

You were little trumpet blowing, baton twirling, piano playing, band leading kinda girl!

Have fun this weekend!

Blessings
R

Mocha with Linda said...

Wow - you had lots of great experiences. Although I probably would have disliked you if we'd been in school together! LOL

Barbara H. said...

You're the first one I have seen who liked performing! And I forgot about the guitar -- there was a time when I would have loved learning that.

Cathy said...

Wow! Sounds like you play a little bit of everything and baton and gymnastics too!! How cool is that?!

Kim said...

ROFL by this comment: "my command of the cornet sounded like an injured dying cow...I don't blame her for 'protecting' her ears and protecting the family from receiving threatening phone calls from local neighbors".

Too funny!

Jim said...

I can tell you are glad you took those five years of piano lessons. So many take 'informal lessons' like you did. My sister-in-law home schooled piano for two of her kids.
You were a Jack-of-all-disciplines at school. That was good. It was also fortunate that your school could provide those, mine couldn't.
..

Kim said...

Wanted to answer your question about Hillsdale College (I mentioned it again today and included a link to their website). It's well-known in conservative circles because it took on the federal gov't over excessive regulation back in the 1970s and won :-) They had stopped taking money from the gov't who then said even student scholarships made the school subject to the regulations...so the school quit allowing any federal money whatsoever. Anyway, long story short, although the school is expensive and doesn't allow the students to get any of their money from the federal gov't, they are HEAVILY endowed and the vast majority of their students get just as good, if not better, scholarships through the various endowments.

I should mention I meant politically conservative :-)

And even though it's not a "christian" college, a lot of christians go there and there are several very strong and active campus ministries.

Between 80-100 Hillsdale students go to my home church, Countryside Bible, and quite a few of those help with children's ministries, with music, special events, etc. Just last week 27 men from our church went to the Together For The Gospel conference in Louisville, KY, and that included some Hillsdale students. We've had such positive experiences with the students over the years! One of them eventually became our associate pastor :-)

Their political science majors often get very good internships in D.C. because of all the connections. The school also has a quarterly program that's for the students, but open to the public, and we've had the opportunity to hear speakers like Margaret Thatcher, Cal Thomas, Charleston Heston...

It's one of the few small colleges whose pre-med students get to work on real cadavers (ewwww, I know, but I guess it's a big deal).

I'm a big fan of the school (in case you couldn't tell), especially since my son is an alumnae :-)