Tuesday, November 27, 2012

FACILITATING FAITH, wk 12

Often times during study classes or even in conversations we have with family members, we may not listen or put ‘new knowledge’ into our actions.  Thomas Dury shared this on THE UPPER ROOM yesterday. (It reminds me of the wisdom my Dad tried to share with me when I was younger…of course, I wasn’t always willing to listen and/or value his input at the time.  If I had it to do over again, I would write down all of his God-led knowledge)
My dad has always been able to cut through trivial issues to the heart of a matter. Knowing how I love to backpack but concerned for my safety, he once asked, “Do you think a lightweight nylon tent will protect you from wild animals?” I joked that it was rather like toddlers playing peek-a-boo, covering their eyes and declaring, “You can’t see me!” …   
Looking back, I realize for many years I treated the Bible much the same way, assuming merely having one (and occasionally reading it) would guarantee my spiritual well-being.  King David’s life caused me to re-evaluate my attitude. David professed devotion to God, but his profession was severely compromised by his affair with Bathsheba. When sin was revealed, David realized he had displeased God and he repented (2 Sam. 11-12).  
Simply carrying a Bible (or saying that I love it) offers only an illusion of spiritual security. Real spiritual security is in relating with God, allowing… scripture to sink into our spirit, making us more Christ-like.
Will you be revealing your relationship with God in your behavior or trying to convince with your words?