Thursday, October 23, 2008

THERE'S HOPE IN THE VOTE...GOT YOUR STICKER?

Cielo at "The House in the Roses" is hosting "Hopeful Friday"...

Hope helps us through many things...
normal things, abnormal things...
comfortable things, uncomfortable things...

I was "hoping" to get done sooner than later...but it ended up being "later"...what presidential voting adventures have you had this year? I've tried to capture a few thoughts about my experience today...


3 1/2 hours!
standing...propping...standing...leaning
Drinking my large, 4-cream, 2-Splenda coffee

Reading THE SCARLET THREAD, Francine Rivers
(Thanx, Beverlydru!)


Hearing moanings about the 40-ish degrees enveloping us
Covering my head with my black-hooded flannel jacket
Shuffling from foot to foot, bending my knees, following the leader
Channel 46 Helicopter hovering, Channel 2 news crews extending antennas

Policemen moving the caution tape, extending the line lanes
Black, white, Hispanic, babies, Mommies, Grandparents, some seem lonely
Lots of coats, hats, closed-toed shoes, flip flops and shorts

Example ballots, back and forth, long yellow sheets
Clip boards, absentee ballot requests, ink pens...any questions?

Finally in the door, no more wind, Thank you, Jesus.
Forms, identification handed over
Electronic card...good as gold...my one vote...my vote counts
Checked my vote, cast my ballot, pulled my card
got my "I VOTED TODAY" sticker
3 1/2 hours!

15 comments:

Holly said...

Aw Man! We didn't get a sticker when we mailed our ballots in. Bummer.

I am hoping to do a fun post this weekend about the various "party names" on the Colorado ballot. It was hilarious!

Clif said...

Orchids to you! You have true grit!
I'm praying that many others will vote.

Beverlydru said...

That is amazing that it took 3 1/2 hours to vote EARLY! I guess that's a really good sign that people are taking this election VERY seriously. I think I got 10 emails from friends yesterday with voting info. They all see things the way I do... importance of faith, family, life!! God gives us hope indeed.

CIELO said...

Happy Hopeful Friday! We voted by mail... no hassle, no long lines... :)

Blessings to you and yours and a happy weekend...

cielo

Paula (SweetPea) said...

I didn't realize one could vote early in person. I'm aware of the absentee ballots and mail ins.

Wow, you must live in a big city. I don't think I've ever waited in line. Of course our town pop is only about 23,000 and we go to a local school based on our home address.

Mailing a vote is probably the best and safest. I've often feared what if I'm sick or up in the hospital or something. Then I won't get to vote. But then God calls us to trust and not fear also. Obviously, I'm not too concerned about not being able to vote. I plan to be there 11/4.

char72 said...

Interesting voting adventure. Luckily we have never had to stand in a long line to vote. When I hear of the trouble that some people go to to vote it just makes me angrier than ever that voter fraud is going on.
Have a great weekend.
Charlotte

Virginia said...

Happy Hopeful Friday! One hour for me and lots of sunshine. Enjoy your post. God Bless, Virginia

Kim said...

Go girl! Yeah for voting :-)

Ruthie said...

Glad you voted. Thanks for the post. We had mail-in ballots - so didn't have to wait in line. Took them to the court house when we had them filled out.
Smiles.

Greg C said...

We have about 3000 people on our island and most wait until late in the day to vote. I usually have to wait about an hour but I expect to be waiting much longer these days. I feel it is my duty to vote though and consider it a blessing that I am able to. We still have a chance if everyone votes.

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

I am just UBER excited to have read this morning that our Sen. McCain is catching up to Obama. YIPPIE!! Prayers are being answered!! Hallelujah!

Have a lovely day!!!

Becky

Meaghan said...

Stopping by to tell you about our giveaway: 1 lb Gourmet Coffee (Regular/Decaf/Whole Bean/Ground)

Stop by and enter: www.getthebean.blogspot.com

We will be doing giveaways every week so be sure to stop by often :)

Meaghan

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

You had to show id? Not us. I could have been Brittany Spears for all it would have mattered. Also, lots of tables with people sitting around filling out their ballots together.

Honestly, where has the scrutiny gone? It somehow made me feel less and that my vote didn't matter, especially when no one really cared that I was elaine.

Glad to be done with it. Now, trusting God with the outcome...no matter the outcome.

peace~elaine

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

What an arduous effort, but it's so worth it. I'm so glad to live here where we vote the next person in and don't wake up with news of a coup and a new dictator. God bless America.

IRENE said...

Lovely writing. You've made it all sound so poetic, you had me hooked to the last sentence! God bless America.