Wednesday, October 1, 2008

WFW - EVERLASTING DOMINION



My post is very late in the day...in fact, it is 15 minutes 'til midnight and I'm just now finishing this...so I guess I can still get it in.
Today in our Bible study we studied Daniel 4
WHICH reminded me of the picture I took below of the large white oak tree standing majestically in my backyard...swaying when the winds get heavy, losing its leaves very late in the winter and watching over my corner of the world like a tower.
When I was standing at the base of this tree, shooting with my camera up the trunk to get a new perspective, it gave me an awesome understanding of just how big it is and how little I am.
I couldn't begin to even climb this tree...the limbs are so far up from the ground. It's bark is rough and scaly like a really old alligator.
If someone was able to shinny up the base of this tree, one slip and you'd have a very uncomfortable slide down until you hit the ground...then you'd fall on top of all the acorns it drops--that wouldn't be comfortable either.
Anyway, in Daniel 4 the King had a dream about a tree--how wonderful it is, how protective, how provident, how great it was...never giving any of the glory of the tree to the One who made it.
Daniel shared his understanding of the dream...the king would lose his kingship, be abandoned to the fields to eat grass, until he came to acknowledge God's greatness...go read how long it took...it wasn't quick...the hair on his body became like feathers and his nails on his hands grew like claws.
Daniel's theme reiterates “The Most High (God) is sovereign over the kingdoms of men.” God IS triumphant (7:11,26–27; 8:25; 9:27).
The climax of his sovereign rule is described in Revelation: “The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ [i.e., Messiah, ‘Anointed One’], and he will reign for ever and ever” (Rev 11:15; see Daniel 2:44; 7:27).
HOW ARE YOU ACKNOWLEDGING GOD'S TRIUMPH AND HIS POWER IN YOUR LIFE?
Daniel 4:34
And at the end of the days, I, Nebuchadnezzar, lifted up mine eyes unto heaven, and mine understanding returned unto me, ...I blessed the most High...I praised and honoured him that liveth for ever, whose dominion is an everlasting dominion, and his kingdom is from generation to generation.

For more Word Filled Wednesday, go to http://the160acrewoods.com/