Saturday, October 18, 2008

Pears, Apples, and Pie, Oh My!!...FALL INTO FLAVOR


My mom has fruit trees in her yard...various apples, pears, and even two pecan trees. Back in August when I visited, the pears were the size of a large golf balls. Well, a little more time, and they are now the size of a fist.
She visited last weekend on their way back home from having gone to Katie's second birthday party...and she brought me two sacks, one of pears and one of apples!

I have washed, peeled and sliced each bagful and now am deciding what to do with the golden, scrumptious pieces of fruit.

My first endeavor was a fresh pear crumble pie...and it is not low fat...but it sure is good.


PEAR CRUMBLE PIE
Printed from COOKS.COM
1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell
4 c. peeled and cored pears cut in eighths
1 c. sugar
3 tbsp. lemon juice
1/2 c. flour
5 1/3 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. mace
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. grated lemon rind
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Mix pears, lemon rind, 1/2 cup sugar and lemon juice
nd arrange in unbaked pie shell.
Combine flour, remaining 1/2 cup sugar and spices.
Cut butter into flour mixture until crumbly.
Sprinkle over pears.
Bake for 45 minutes or until pears are tender.



The first fruits of the treats she shared with me were not going to be in a "calorie counting" dish.

Next time I'll be good and make it with splenda, low fat margarine and whole wheat flour, but for now, we're enjoying the "fruits of their labor"...and loving every bite.

Isaiah 27:6
In days to come Jacob will take root,
Israel will bud and blossom
and fill all the world with fruit.


FOR MORE WONDERFUL "FALL INTO FLAVORS", GO TO 2nd Cup
with "Linda, Lidna, or Liddie"--whichever u prefer...We love her, call her lots of names cause she makes us LAFF!

15 comments:

Technonana said...

What a great TREAT!!! I love pears.. and to have pears and apples to make pies!!! Priceless!!!
This is the time of year I usually make apple crisp... gotta go get some apples!!!

Carrie said...

Both pears and apples make such delightful pastries and other treats!

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Ooh, this would be perfect for "Fall Into Flavor" tomorrow. And thanks for the really nice compliment about my hair; however, I have since edited the post to say that I have embarrassed myself by appearing to be fishing for compliments. But thanks, anyway.

P.S. He loves you.. said...

oh yum!

Thanks for stopping by!

Clif said...

All I can say is "Wow." My wife better not catch me looking at that pie. I guess I'm lusting. I hope it is not the kind that will get me condemned. I'm gettin' out of here and hopefully I will be able to get that picture out of my mind. P.S. Glad to know you teach a Sunday School class. Keep it up!

Paula (SweetPea) said...

Can I get a yum-EEEE. Homemade apple pie with "homemade" apples...that is not from the store. They have SUCH a different taste. I enjoy the apples from our local fruit farm.

Nice fall update.

Cindy Swanson said...

Hi Skoots! Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting on my blog. I love pears...this sounds amazing. I would have to make it the "good" way though, as I'm diabetic and everyone in my family is trying to lose weight!

We have an apple tree in our backyard, but since moving to this house we've failed to have the tree sprayed at the proper time. It just makes me sick to see a tree full of beautiful apples and know that they're wormy and can't be eaten. :( This spring I'm going to make a real point to have it sprayed...nothing like having fruit in your own backyard!

Cyndy said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!...for this recipe. I have a bunch (and I mean a bunch) of pears from our tree sitting in the garage waiting for something to happen. I will be using this recipe...yessireebob!

Mocha with Linda said...

oh this sounds delicious!

Kim said...

Yummy! Pears rarely make it into any sort of dessert 'cause we love 'em so much fresh, dripping juice down our chins :-) But this sounds so good I'm just going to have to try it! Thanks!

char72 said...

I've never eaten a pear pie, but I'll bet it's good. I love sweet fresh juicy pears. I can almost taste it now. Apples are wonderful too - especially in pie with ice cream on top.
Charlotte

Beverlydru said...

I hope you get your book soon. I mailed it last Weds. and am a little paranoid about the service at USPS. Know it's on the way. Florida to you should not take a week! Blessings! The pie looks marvelous.

Clif said...

Charlotte is a fantastic pie maker. She won first place in a contest once for her pecan pie. In a few weeks we will have more pie than we know what to do with until the end of the year. I'm a diabetic and we both (don't tell her) are getting fat. Sooooo I guess we don't need any more pie recipes. I just need to stop lusting after sweet "stuff" and get myself under control. Glad to hear that you have your class digging into the Word.

CIELO said...

Yum, that sounds and looks so delicious.... and by the way, your blog is looking so delicious too! :) Just lovely.

cielo

Patricia said...

The recipe looks wonderful. I printed it so I can make it for our daughter who loves pears (she's not much of a citrus person so she gets pears in her stocking at Christmas instead of oranges like the rest of us).

P.S. I am a firm believer that natural is always better than artificial, especially in desserts. I just try not to indulge that belief very often (something about being over 40 turns all the yummy stuff into something I'm not so happy with on my hips *rueful grin*). But I do like the idea of using whole wheat flour. I've been gradually adding it to more of our recipes -- bringing the rest of the family along without them realizing I've changed their favorites.

Thanks for posting this recipe today!

Typing One-Handed