Thursday, October 9, 2008

VINTAGE THINGS THURSDAYS...

Participating in the different day themes is always fun,
and they certainly get your ideas flowing in ways you've never expected.

My idea for today was to start with probably two of the oldest things in my home......

but, yesterday we had a "double rainbow" late in the afternoon...



Having rained all day, the air was so humid, full of miniature raindrops, and as the sun slowing dipped into the southwestern sky, there came a wonderfully vibrant, double rainbow...


my hubby called me on his way home, amazed at its irredescence and array of colors.
my pic naturally doesn't do it justice...however, it's not too bad considering it was raining while i was shooting,

while holding an umbrella with one hand and the camera with the other...
trying to avoid cars that continued driving by

as I stood out in the street to get the best angle of the shot...
kids, don't do this at home on your own...

So, thinking back on my vintage day, this is one of God's oldest pieces of art for all of us to share,
for all of us to remember his covenant with Noah

to never again to cover the earth in water....

so, these are my first pics from our early-October gift from our Heavenly Father:


Now on to my "other" vintage prizes...
the two pictures below hang in our guest bedroom...given to us by my in-laws after my hubby's father passed and the house was being prepared to sell.

If I remember correctly, these used to hang in my hubby's maternal grandmother's home.






I haven't a clue how old they really are, and I need to research and find out who manufactured them, etc

The portrayals in the pictures are peaceful but emote far different emotions to me as I gaze at them...

The young woman on the left she gazes longingly, tired from a day's labor...or possibly looking ahead to another field's challenge with back-breaking swinging of the sickle, to and fro.


The little one to the right gazing sweetly in amazement at the birdy in the tree, wondering if it will be flying away with its next movement, wondering if it has a family to take food back to in its nest.
She looks to me as she is waiting for it to sing again....maybe she had heard it from her room and run out to see it while it sang.



When these were given to us, the frames were black, covered with old mold from having been kept in a very damp basement for many years. I cleaned them with warm water and wood cleaner, not knowing what was beneath the darkness.




Look what I found!





There is some damage...

cracking around some of the old edges....like me!! Yet, I think they are very pretty in their elderliness...
: )

For more vintage, go here:


http://anapronaday.blogspot.com/2008/10/mary-aldens-cookbook-for-children-1956.html

Psalm 5:3 In the morning, O LORD,
you hear my voice;
in the morning I lay my requests before you
and wait in expectation.

8 comments:

Carrie said...

Your two heirloom pictures are beautiful...the subjects are very appealing.

marianedwardsdreamweaver said...

Beautiful pictures as is the frame....thanks for sharing :)

Sassy Granny ... said...

I could add my own picture here. "Vintage" well describes my arthritic hands, sometimes forgetful brain, and afinity for naps.

But nothing compares to that rainbow. Incredible! And it's such a comfort to think that our God provided it with a specific purpose in mind, knowing you would happen upon it as you did.

Bless the Lord!
Kathleen

Victoria Lynn said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your kind words. I love the double rainbow and the reminder of God's promises and hmmm... double rainbow and the promise of double portion? I like that! Have a blessed day, Victoria Lynn

Greg C said...

I have seen the second picture before and if I remember correctly it was in our church when I was a child.
There is a big painting on the side of a house in downtown Charleston that shows God, a bow, a rainbow and the words. Not by water but by fire next time. I think I would prefer the water.

Beverlydru said...

Beautiful photos. Neat post. The most wonderful events have transpired as a result of your post with the shofar video. I thought it was awesome and shared it with my husband. It inspired him and he has spent all week studying about the shofar. There was one sitting idly at our church that we brought home yesterday. He is annointed to blow this thing!! You never know what a word fitly spoken (or posted) will do.

Paula (SweetPea) said...

I love rainbows and double rainbows are double the blessing. :-)

I like your blog new look.
P

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Love the vintage frames and photos. I'm an antique gal, so I'm especially appreciative of unearthed treasures! But the rainbow...

one of my favorite gifts from God. They never cease to stun me in my spirit.

Have a great week.

peace~elaine