Friday, October 3, 2008

SHOW AND TELL FRIDAY...




I wanted to go "flea marketing" today...but, it didn't work out that way. So, I've saved some money by not picking up anything new and I'll show you what I already have in my dining room.

Differently bordered "service plates" from Salem Co. were passed to me from my grandmother. My grandparents owned a small, country diner/Pure gas station. Naturally, they would order large quantities of flour, 'cause Granny made LOTS of biscuits and fed the local farmers before their hard day's work. My mother remembered the plates were given to retailers as thanks for purchasing larger quantities. They came in multiple colors with women, men, and children featured on each plate.


The name, service plates, is very appropriate for the remembrance of my grandparents running their business. Mother said they often fed those who didn't have the money to pay...Granny was not going to turn anyone away from "perfectly good food" she could share with her neighbors. PaPa would write "tabs" for anyone who couldn't quite make the full payment on their gas purchase...they could pay it back next week...and they never ran anything through a credit card reader or telephone line...he wrote it on a little white pad he kept in his pocket.


Papa always smelled like cigarettes and gasoline; Granny smelled of baby powder and biscuits.

I remember running through the creaky screened door into the diner/store to get a "Coke" out of the old drink cooler...the big RED abyss of a Coca Cola refrigerator I'd almost fall over into as I reached for my drink (in the glass bottle) and feel the cold air hit my face (it was the only cold thing around back in the days of NO AIR CONDITIONING). I miss those days.

ILOVE HOW DELICATELY detailed the faces on each plate seem to be. I'm currently looking for some of the same type plates; however, I want the "matching" men plates to go with my "Little Women", ha ha. I keep looking on EBay but so far have not come across what I want to complete my set. Maybe it's meant for me to just cherish the two I have and the memories they hold.


This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people
but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God.

19 comments:

Grandma Faith said...

Your plates are lovely, and I enjoyed your story. Your music goes nicely with this post.

Paula (SweetPea) said...

Man, I had a very hard time finding your comment link. I was about to go crazy. I just HAD to stop and tell you how much I absolutely LOVE the flower on your header. Oh my, oh my. I wish I had one of those in real life. If you do, I'll come steal it, I mean borrow it. haha.

Kelli said...

Such beautiful plates! I love the pattern.
~Kelli

Charlotte said...

What marvelous memories. You described them so vividly too. Great job.

I think you are the one that asked me if my dolls shoes were leather. The answer is yes. If it was someone else that asked me, you don't know what I'm talking about. Oh well.

Frazzled Mom said...

Guess what???? I found them for you on www.replacements.com click here to see them http://www.replacements.com/webquote/SLMGOPSP.htm

I absolutely love them. Thank you for sharing them and your story.

Frazzled Mom

Holly said...

Hey sweet one! I have just linked your blog. I hope that's ok! It will so help me to stop by to see it on the sidebar.

Have a blessed and beautiful weekend...thank you for always blessing me with your kindness!
Holly

Grammy said...

I so enjoy stories of the past. I could sit and listen to them all day. When I visit my Aunt in Wv. She tells me here child hood, and A special friend in St Louis. Still live like they did in the past. She has all there furniture from 65 years ago. What a treasure you have in those plates. Thanks for sharing.

BarbaraLee said...

Love the plates. That is my style.
Isn't it ashame we don't live like that anymore?

Sarah C. said...

Thank you for sharing your treasured plates with us! I have several plates with 'ladies' on them which decorate my kitchen. Take care!

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

Love the plates and the details.

Bo said...

Your show & tell really took me back to those beautiful, long ago times from my own childhood. The plates are so very pretty and I am proud for you that they survived all these years... ;-) Bo

Lady Katherine said...

Your story is so sweet of remembering days gone by. The plates are so so so lovely

the pleasures of homemaking said...

That such a sweet story! I LOVE those plates!! They are just the prettiest I've seen in a long time!

Manuela

Edwina at The Picket Fence said...

That was such a nice blog and I love the pattern on the plates.

Sassy Granny ... said...

What a lovely, creative blog home! It's always full of precious memories, and today I especially enjoyed the instrumental from Out of Africa while I mused.

Kathleen

Virginia said...

I enjoyed your story.Your plates are lovely,and the music divine.
Blessings, Virginia

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Love the plates and the lesson on the shofar. Interesting thing, I didn't shut off your music from John Barry beforehand. Actually sounded lovely together. Cute new blog look. Honestly, I don't how so many of you are so creative.

peace~elaine

KATHERINELLEN said...

Beautiful plate..have a wonderful day Kathy

Carrie said...

I enjoyed seeing your beautiful plates. Sure hope you can find some more in the series.