Friday, January 9, 2009

Hopeful Friday...cleaning up and putting away


House in the Roses is hosting Hopeful Friday...so here's my contribution...if you'd like to participate, go here: http://houseinroses.blogspot.com/2009/01/hopeful-friday-dream.html

Today was the day...finally deciding to put away the majority of the Christmas ornaments and decorations throughout the house. Having been so late in getting my decorations out this year, I intentionally left them out to enjoy them a little longer. Pulling everything out and storing items that sit out most of the year ends up taking about a day or two.

Memories flood over me as I pull out each piece, and again as I wrap them carefully and put them back in their safe place...they each have a special place, or box, they fit in...then, they are stacked in the basement away from any harm of flying objects or gym equipment. (DH has a golf tee with plastic, holey plastic balls that sometimes go places they're not intended to go...)

Sadness sometimes takes me over when I'm tucking everything back into their containers...why can't we have Christmas all year? Then, I ponder on the ying and yang, the good and bad, the valleys and the mountaintops. Even scriptures speaks to there being a specific time for every purpose...(Ecclesiastes 3:1 "For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven.")

This section of Ecclesiastes is speaking of human labors...and today my labor was hard and tiring, hot flashes and all, intensified as I scurried up and down the steps, digging in and out of boxes, wrapping and tucking things in their proper places. Once I completed these chores, I vacuumed throughout the house and now am ENJOYING the fruits of my labor. It seems almost empty in the house without my nativities, angels and pictures with Santa.
The writer notes beginning at Eccles. 3:9 "What do people really get for all their hard work? ... He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God’s work from beginning to end...there is nothing better than to be happy and enjoy ourselves as long as we can.,,people should eat and drink and enjoy the fruits of their labor, for these are gifts from God."

Our fruits from our labor are our gifts from God...and the eternity that He planted in our hearts! What labor has been tough for you this past week?

Be hopeful and enjoy looking back on the fruits of that labor...

9 comments:

Technonana said...

Oh My Sweet Friend.. I sooo identified with everything in your post today. Christmas has always been special to me, because it was my mother's favorite time of year. She loved to give people things, and I was fortunate enough to be the recipient of many of her 'things'. Like 2 of her manger scenes, her snow village and some of her Christmas china.
But the Labor that was tough for me this week, was keeping two little boys. One that was recupperating from the flu, and the other one needing to be taken back and forth to preschool.
I keep Nathan 3days a week, but this week, his brother Patrick was too ill to attend school, so taking care of Patrick and getting Nathan off to school was like pulling hens teeth, because Nathan didn't understand why HE had to go to school if Patrick wasn't!
Love you, Friend!
Sharon

jeanne said...

Boy your post really moved me today. I still am putting away Christmas and there is always a little regret that the beautiful Christmas season is over. I never am in a hurry to put it all away. It is a labor of love to put up and another to take it down.
I am sure I will enjoy the job when all is back in order. The fruits of my labor will be rewarded by a job well done.

Hugs...Jeanne

KATHERINELLEN said...

Beautiful posts...very moving You have a Hopeful day...Katheirnellen

Kim said...

I put away my Christmas things this week too. Since it never really felt like Christmas this time I wasn't as sad as usual. With summer weather and without the family here, with all the fireworks so typical here, it really felt more like 4th of July than Christmas. I think it will just take time to adjust to doing things so differently.

Greg C said...

I had no hard labor this past week. However today I have to work on my son's car and that could make up for the great start in 2009. Actually this year started out so well that I am optomistic about the entire year. I am listening more and hearing what God is saying.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

My week was easy, which makes me feel a little guilty. But I know that could just be a nice respite from what this week will hold. Thanks for the encouragement. And thanks for commenting today at my site about churches. Have you read Simple Church? We are like you in that we are moving more outward from the insides of our building into the community. It's picking up steam every month that goes by.

Edwina at The Picket Fence said...

That was such an encouraging post. It is hard every year to put away things, especially because the house just doesn't look as bright and cheery as it does during the holiday season. But aren't we glad that no matter what our homes look like we can always have them centered around God.

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Hello!! You have the same sentiments about Christmas as I do. It takes more time to decorate as I enjoy the items and have a trip down memory lane with each one. LOL about the hot flashes. I am right there with you on that one, however my new Estradol seems to be doing its job.

Lovely post and so true. I always remind myself that God has been so good to me and thank him for all he has done for us.

In answer to your question, I am just having to deal with a cold now. Worked myself to hard having company here and taking care of holiday things. It does catch up with you!

Have a lovely day,
Becky
xo

PS: Duhgall sends a hug your way.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Keeping hope alive in my mind and spirit! That's been my hard labor this week. Funny, how it often finds its own box and is content to hide on days when I'm content to let it rest.

Enjoy your 11 months of rest until you have to do it all over again!

peace~elaine