Thursday, July 29, 2010

FLASHBACK: sunday-school style

Did your family attend church when you were growing up?
Mother always ensured my sister and I went with her to church each Sunday, and I ALWAYS accompanied her to Wednesday-night choir practice. I still LOVE singing.

What are your earliest memories of church?
Mother would 'threaten' to pinch my thigh with her thumb and first finger when I was not properly sitting still or threatening to become louder.
Thank goodness she didn't have to pinch me, i'm sure i would have squealed from the force of her two-finger vice!

Did you attend VBS (Vacation Bible School) when you were young?
Memories don't come back to me about VBS, so I don't believe we attended it if it was happening at our curch.
Sunday School was on our radar, and we weekly ENDURED the little lessons from the HIGHLIGHT-esque pamphlets provided by the church leaders. We RARELY got original lessons provided by the Sunday School teachers.
Today's lessons for children and teens are MUCH better at involving and getting feedback from the children

Was faith a Sunday-only thing or did it impact your life and the things you did?
Our life was very definitely impacted by our faith walk and decisions of what to do. Our parents greatly cared about our influences and they wonderfully provided a safe environment for us at home, school and church.
Our understanding of 'right' and 'wrong' were strengthened from the lessons at church and in our home...there are consequences to our actions and our responsibility is to remember what we learned and follow in that way. Such simple yet important lessons that take you a LONG way to a successful adulthood.


Jer. 33:3
"Call to me and I will answer you
and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know."Blessings,

7 comments:

Mocha with Linda said...

Enjoyed reading this. What a great foundation!

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

the two finger vice...hmmmm sounds effective. Maybe you should try it out on you know who!

R

Angela said...

I totally remember sitting in church with my mom every Sunday. I also remember VBS every summer! Great memories.
Thanks.
Angela
www.sewloquacious.blogspot.com

A Garden of Threads said...

Thank you for visiting and leaving a comment, the big yellow flower in the mosaic is a dahlia. I do remember going to Sunday School and youth groups as a kid. Take care and have a wonderful week.

Robynn's Ravings said...

Lovely memories (well, except that potential finger vice)! :) I actually got that a few times and it left major bruises. I have SO many memories around our little white clapboard church. Some are wonderful and others are dark. But it was people who brought the darkenss and the church remains a beautiful place in my memory where God's word went forth and spoke to my young heart. And I can't ever taste hard oatmeal cookies (Mother's, I think) and drink Kool-aid that I don't think of VBS there 40+ years ago.

Thanks for sharing. Truly.

Wanda said...

Boy did you hit a memory nerve!!!
I have been in Sunday School since age 3. Accepted the Lord as personal Savior at age 10, and baptized shortly after. At 17 felt God's call on my life for Full Time Christian Service...so attended Biola Bible College and met my husband... We retired 2 years ago, after 47 years of ministry in local churches. The last 27 years in a Baptist Church in Northern CA.

As far as VBS have been involved teaching for years. In fact my husband came to Salvation at a Closing VBS Program at 12 yrs old by seeing his cousins demonstrate the 'Wordless Book'.

Well enough of that....... Sorry I was rambling.. But I am so so exciting about your art, and that you are considering watercolor.
It is my passion... and I think you will love it.

When kids go to college....it feels lonely..so you can express all your emotions with a paint brush.

Look forward to this new friendship. Feel free to jump into any of the Art Challenges I present.

rita said...

Finger vice on shoulder muscle is very effective!
I remember also how many figures Mother could make out of one handkerchief.