Tuesday, January 24, 2012

WEDNESDAY HODGEPODGE, 01.25.2012

JOINING FOR JOYCE AND ALL HER REGULAR VISITORS OVER AT ‘FROM THIS SIDE OF THE POND FOR ANOTHER HODGEPODGE…come join us!

1. The NFL playoffs were held this past weekend and this year's Superbowl lineup will feature The New York Giants versus The New England Patriots. How do you define 'patriot'? 

Mel Gibson in his BEST years

Hahahahah!

2. What's something  in your life right now that feels like a 'giant'?

‘complete hysterectomy’…HRTs are NOT a definite ‘fix’ and I’m so tired of ‘trying’ to feel normal again

3. What's the first thing that comes to mind when you think back to being 18?

The sudden loneliness away from high school friends

4. Coconut-mashed potatoes-vanilla ice cream-mayonnaise...which white food would be the hardest to give up?

Mashed potatoes are hardest among these choices…I do replace them with sweet potatoes quite often, though

5. Describe an incident or a day you remember as the coldest you've ever experienced?

Our blizzard of 1982…our office closed; they sent us home and most of our city got stranded on the roads and highways.  I walked a half mile with a quilt wrapped around my shoulders (over my coat)and took refuge in a local gas station (where I discovered my monthly Uncle Red had arrived…thank goodness for sharing women in a public bathroom). 

We all walked down the road to a church we knew was close by…some of their members were out on the sidewalk pointing any/all walkers to their ‘fellowship hall…that was supposed to be hosting an anniversary party…their guests couldn’t get there, so they welcomed us to come in an eat, use their phones, bathrooms, etc. 

I never made it home that night, but a friend’s husband ‘rescued’ me and I stayed with them for the next two days…I had to wash my clothes twice to wear to work…finally, on the third day, I made it to my apartment 10 miles from work. 

6. You're hosting a brunch...what's your favorite dish to prepare and serve?

my favorite SOUTHERN LIVING recipe:

Garlic Shrimp and Grits

Prep: 20 min., Cook: 15 min. Leave the tails on the shrimp you use as a garnish for an attractive presentation.

YIELD: Makes 4 servings     COURSE: Breakfast/Brunch, Main Dishes

  • 1 pound unpeeled, medium-size fresh shrimp, cooked
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 cup whipping cream
  • 1/4 cup butter or margarine
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup quick-cooking grits, uncooked
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • Garnishes: chopped fresh chives, peeled and cooked shrimp, freshly ground black pepper
Preparation:  Peel shrimp, and devein, if desired.  Bring 3 cups water, cream, butter, and salt to a boil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, and whisk in grits. Cook, whisking constantly, 7 to 8 minutes or until mixture is smooth. Stir in 1 pound shrimp, cheese, and garlic, and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Garnish, if desired.                                 Southern Living APRIL 2005

7. How do you combat negative thinking?

Stopping and pondering His Words; reading some Patsy Claremont; call my Mother; vent with my girlfriends…it’s never as easy as one thing.  It’s impossible to stay positive as humans…when I am weak, He is strong.

8. Insert your own random thought here.

Catching up on ladies’ tennis at the Australian Open…

Love me some tennis…

but HATE all the ‘moaning, screaming, grunting or letting the energy flow’…whatever the ‘pros’ want to call their ‘bad’ habits of noise while playing.

Their noises drive me bonkers each time they hit shots or serve.  All that energy being let out their mouths could give their shots/serves another 10 miles an hour, if you ask me.