Monday, July 14, 2008

ITS ONLY 12 Steps?!

Earlier today I read about families struggling with dysfunction...and I started asking myself some questions. We were always taught to start with the dictionary, so I went to dictionary.com:

dys·func·tion [dis-fuhngk-shuhn]


1.Medicine/Medical. malfunctioning, as of an organ or structure of the body.
2.any malfunctioning part or element: the dysfunctions of the country's economy.
3.Sociology. a consequence of a social practice or behavior pattern that undermines the stability of a social system.

I believe ALL families struggle with dysfunction, in some form or fashion; and I believe it is called original sin. We are in "the body" of humans that occupy this earth, and, we each tend to malfunction in major ways from time to time, day to day, moment to moment...in our own special way; and, we all have behavior patterns we KNOW undermines ourselves, to our own detriment, then we get tummy aches, can't sleep at night, snap at the slightest provocation, or avoid relationship with those who should be closest to our hearts...so why is it so hard to correct this "dysfunction"?

This question pulled me along in curiosity, so I wanted to look at AA's 12 steps--to look at their list. I've heard of it over many years yet I hadn't read the steps specifically. When I found it, I decided to make a very abbreviated bullet list, 'cause I can absorb better in small snippets. Here's what I bulleted:


*admit problem
*believe in Power greater than self
*turn will/life over to God
*take moral inventory
*admit wrongs
*ready for God's removal of defective character
*ask God's removal of shortcomings;list persons harmed
*make amends to those people
*continue taking inventory

*admitting when wrong
*pray/meditate with God, pray His Will/power to carry out
*carry this message to others
*practice these principles in all our affairs




None of the above 12 are easy, and we humans want the easy route, the path of least resistance....it's just too hard or a substance could take control of us should we step into waters we should reject less it sweeps us down the "river of pain and suffering".
Matthew 7:13 "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it."


Thank you, Jesus, for Alcoholics Anonymous, for their reaching out to those in need in their program and those outside their program. Thank you for giving us your Son, His example of love in its most compassionate form, for His sitting at your Right Hand. May we share what He has done in our lives with people every day through our actions, words and deeds.
Yes, I believe I need to use this as my daily guide to my behavior.