Monday, August 18, 2008

Meet Him in the Kitchen...


As we prepare meals for our families this week, may we each remember His Word as we are about our work. His Word gives us many ways to “meet Him in the kitchen”.

Last week I used many different spices in some of my “southwestern” food, and coriander (dried cilantro) was one I used a lot. Have you every thought about the spices the Hebrews used in their Old Testament days are some we STILL use? The next time you buy coriander at the grocery store, say a quick "thank you" prayer since it is so easily accessable and you don't have to “go around gathering” it!
(Numbers 11:7-9 The manna was like coriander seed and looked like resin. The people went around gathering it, and then ground it in a hand mill or crushed it in a mortar.)

Before starting your work, and each time you’re handling any raw meats, remember “clean hands” will keep you and your family healthy. (Psalm 24:4 He who has clean hands and a pure heart, who does not lift up his soul to an idol or swear by what is false.) Now the pure heart might be a little harder to come by…but you can ponder and pray over yourself as you wash your hands.




When I’m cooking from scratch, it naturally takes longer than when I start with a pre-made mix.

We love New Orleans style rice and beans, as well as shrimp etouffee, and with each of them I must prepare a Roux (pronounced somewhat like the English word "rue"). It’s a mixture of my good flour and a tasty fat of some kind, usually pork fat, cooked down until richly brown—a wonderful base of the gravy. I have to be diligent, stand and slowly cook it to just the right point or it will be ruined. The Levites also stood and cooked their offerings in pans, with aromas drifting up to their Lord. (Leviticus 2:7 If your grain offering is cooked in a pan, it is to be made of fine flour and oil.)

And, I’m sure you and I share this last point:

Once I’ve worked hard cleaning, preparing my various items, cooking all the food, and putting away any leftovers and washing up the pans and dishes, I absolutely love to kick back in my blue leather, winged-back chair in my den. I get great comfort in knowing our Lord rested after all his creativity (Hebrews 4:4 And yet his work has been finished since the creation of the world…"And on the seventh day God rested from all his work.")


My actual menu plan is in my right margin...
For many, many great recipes, visit here: http://orgjunkie.com/2008/08/menu-plan-monday-august-18th.html ... you won't be disappointed!!

7 comments:

KJ said...

We had a late dinner tonight and you're still making me hungry! I enjoy your writing. It's engaging and your Scriptures fit in perfectly.

Yes, California has some amazing features. There is so much to do here. We are spoiled, that's for sure. You'll need to come back again. Boy do I know some Old Town districts that are nice!

By the way, I love your occupation!

Hugs, KJ

Edie Marie's Attic said...

Hi!
Thank you for visiting me! It's so nice to meet you, and I love your blog. It's so inspirational. Your use of scripture in your writing is wonderful.
I will be back for some daily words from God to keep me going!! Thank you for knowing His Word so well.
Hugs, Sherry

Mary said...

You must be feeling really good since your surgery if all I see on your blog is any indication.

Interesting things added:
Menu for the week, pictures, spiritual applications with menu
Really, really nice!

I love beans, rice, and shrimp etouffee, too!:)

mary

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Do you hire out? Honestly, I would love to be a meal planner. I'm a horrible kitchen person. I can cook, I just don't like to. Maybe if I had a system...

peace~elaine

skoots1mom said...

One of my bestest girlfriends intrigued me to use my computer to do meal planning on my calendar...i can pull in recipes from other websites, place them on my daily plan a week in advance...then I can quickly put together a shopping list. (most of the food websites have "shopping list" functionality, and it's wonderful)
It is a little cumbersome on the front end but overall, it saves me from being such a slacker in the kitchen.
Recently, with all my woman changes, my brain doesn't want to function quite the same and this has helped my stress level.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

That's very clever! And educational--I didn't know what coriander was originally.

Paula (SweetPea) said...

Wow...your planning is wonderful. I admire that very much. Even when I cooked (don't cook for one right now much) I didn't plan anything very well.

I love your new look. It's great.

I finally posted my final piece on BM conference.
Paula