Saturday, September 13, 2008

ANTICIPATION...it's keeping me wa-a-a-a-a-itin!

My yard is in the final throws of "last colors of summer"...the next season is soon to be dawning into yellows, oranges and reds of Fall. I'm anticipating this season for its wonderfulness of smells ranging from fading leaves, new pine straw, pumpkin spice coffee, and baking apples with cinnamon and butter.


Next to my garage, my yellow chrysanthemum is on the verge of blooming, reminding me of my Daddy...
there were lots of mums at his funeral in 1990, so it always reminds me of how much he loved the Fall, going to high school football games and yelling at the Falcons on the TV...he was not always timid.

(This is a micro shot...in reality it is about the same size as the end of your little pinky finger) [Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) Genus: chrysanthemum Height:18-24 in.]


Out in the front island are two angel trumpets...more than 5 blooms
on this one...only one pod on the plant in the front of the island. [Angel's Trumpet Brugmansia;Height:6-8 ft.attractive to bees, butterflies and/or birdsFlowers are fragrant]

Soon they will pop out to satisfy my eagerness..why am I eager?...because they are the "babies" in my floral array this summer...small as the array is, I appreciate every awakening of color as it bursts out to meet its new home.

Each time I will be looking on these two plants I will think of my dear accountability sister who kindly shared the plants with me...so, their names are Dorothy.




Just behind the trumpet and next to the sitting bench my moments are always smoothed when I take in a whiff of my miniature gardenia...
this is the prettiest bloom I've ever seen on it!

Can you believe I was able to capture it in a portrait so I can return and enjoy it again and again throughout the upcoming winter!
[Gardenia jasminoides...or miniature Gardenia or Cape Jasmine; an evergreen shrub; height & spread, 2 to 6 feet.]

I recently propogated a few branches of this bush for my Mother--she so enjoyed its crisply-sweet smell this past summer when she visited.
The blossom itself reminds me of the STAR of DAVID (5 points; such a sweet smell in the center)...just like Jesus is the SWEETEST SMELL of the line of DAVID! So, I think I'll name this one JESSEE...the line of Jessee!


Thank you, Lord:
for giving me such a beautiful covering of your creation to see,
to smell, to enjoy, to share with my blogging friends and neighbors.
Again, our prayers ask you to especially cover the Texas coast
as they are enduring Hurricane Ike...
put a hedge of protection around them.
Amen