Wednesday, September 17, 2008

TOUCH ME NOT...WILLKOMMEN--MEIN GARTEN!

So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.

Another follow-up...last bits of color bursting in my front yard...tying to hang on to summer with all their might.
So glad I've been taking pictures this summer so I can go back and enjoy them throughout the fall and winter.


If the temperatures remain, I'll soon have several day lily blooms...scientifically speaking, this is the Hemerocallis 'Stella De Oro' day lily. These are so hardy and give lots of color early summer and fall.
About three weeks ago I was planting a lily a friend had given me...I was scratching around in my dirt...about a week later, these "touch-me-nots" bounded up out of the dirt...they were just lying under there waiting for me to scratch them up into the sunshine...

These used to be in my "granny's" side yard growing in and alongside her "tommytoe tomatoes"


Mine were grown from some of her seeds...so these are named "Ila Odessa"...one of those old southern names! You want to hear the best part?...she had first cousins named: Ora, Ura, Era...I promise!!!


Their scientific name is: BALSAM IMPATIENS (Impatiens balsamina) a.k.a.
Touch-me-nots...the little green seed pods you see hanging under the leaves "pop" when you touch them...spreading their tiny little seeds!




Last but not least is a picture of my front-door decoration for the new season...have to have sunflowers and scarecrows. I always have fun finding something to go in my "Southern Living" door hanger...

How are you decorating your front door or entrance way this Fall?