Saturday, September 27, 2008

TWO "BUTCHES" OF A DIFFERENT KIND...

When i was a little girl watching my daddy work around the house, he'd let me be in tow (i would hand him his tools and sometimes he'd let me hammer or use the screwdriver).

While I was watching, he was busy teaching me REAL things...usable things that I remember to this day.

After he'd finish his work, wherever we were, he'd reach in his front shirt pocket for his Pall Malls...pull his stainless steel lighter out, clicking it open and watching him cover the cigarette from the wind as he lit it. There would be an engulfing puff of smoke as he lit up ... surrounding his head...his face would crinkle with a squint until he blew out that first puff, usually holding the cigarette in his teeth out the left side of his mouth and speaking with just the right side of his mouth!


Now, I know smoking is definitely NOT the thing to be doing...but it was a part of my Daddy I will never forget--it was uniquely him and I so rarely was around him without his "lighting up"...he's definitely the only "smoky" smelling person I ever wanted to hug...but nothing beat his hugs




....or, when I would get to sit on Daddy's shoulders while rubbing my hand back and forth over his flat top after he had just gotten it trimmed. It felt like a wonderfully SOFT boar's hair brush...I could play with it forever!
If you're not familiar with a flattop, it's very short--deliberately styled to stand up on top (typically no more than an inch or two) and is cut to be flat, resulting in a haircut that is square in shape. My daddy would work on it to achieve his flat surface--using "butch wax" to stiffen the front.


That "butch memory" made me think of another "Butch"...and wonderful memories...
I'm gonna miss Paul Newman who died yesterday, 9/26/2008. He and his wife, Joanne Woodward, are part of my family, too...at least they feel like it to us. When I was a kid we loved watching him on TV and on black and white movies...and nobody could have been better in BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID!
And, his Hollywood years didn't hold a candle to his post-Hollywood years...race-car driving and the epitome of compassion and charity...Save me a place at the table, Paul...we'll miss you 'til then!



Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.



11 comments:

Charlotte said...

Yes, I remember the butch and flat top haircuts well. They also had a style called flat top with fenders or wings - I think it was fenders. It was flat on top and long on the sides slicked back.
Thanks for your nice comments on my blog. And as for the McCain/Palin stuff, you're welcome to copy any of it you want. I don't remember where I got it. From different places I think. The more we advertise the better.

Ruthie said...

Thanks for those great memories.

How special to have such wonderful memories of your dad.

My DH had a butch when I married him - and he had a terrible time growing it out.

Smiles.

bj said...

oH, yes, I well remember the flat tops and the butch wax. There was also a haircut called "Butch"..my little boy used to get a 'Butch with a Bumper'; the front stood up a little higher and the wax helped it stand...
I will miss Mr.Newman, too.

Sassy Granny ... said...

Since my Dad was 46 and bald when I arrived on the scene I can't say he sported a butch. What I can say is that he was "dapper". Youthful in the 20s, he was vintage Valtentino, and oh so handsome!

There's an era passing along with Paul Newman that is unequaled. Truly they are aptly named the Greatest Generation.

Kathleen

Grandma Faith said...

I enjoyed your words about your father. I am mourning the loss of Paul Newman, too. Take care.

Carrie said...

It's wonderful to read of your great relationship with your father.
Paul Newman will certainly be missed. His food company and the related philanthropy was extraordinary.

Scooterblu's Whimsy said...

Hi! Great post and memoriam to your dad and Newman!

I enjoyed the video of the Cathedrals below! George Younce sure could sing, couldn't he? I was playing the video and my husband chimed in and started singing! LOL! He told me the history behind the song, written by James Blackwood. Are you familar with it? Pretty interesting! Thanks for sharing it!

Oh, and thanks for visiting my blog and for the kind comments you left! Come back and see me sometime! :) ~Rhonda

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

I enjoyed reading your blog about the two Butches! Nice tribute!

Katherine

ROXY said...

Thanks for sharing your kind words!! My mom and I were sooo sad when we heard of Paul Newman's passing. Thanks for visiting today and I hope to hear from you again soon!

IRENE said...

Hello,
Thank you so much for stopping by. You have such a gentle manner.
I really liked reading your post. It made me think of the memories we create for our children. I read it aloud to my husband and he said that you write beautifully, too. A most welcoming place you have. I hope to visit back again.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

What a tender and precious memory. You obviously were well-loved by your family. I hear it in all of your posts that you write about them. Thank you for giving us another glimpse.

peace~elaine