Joining Liddie @ 2nd Cup for this week's EARLY Random Dozen!
1. Are you sticking to traditional Thanksgiving foods this year, or are you being culinarily adventurous?
TRADITIONAL (BRINING MY BIRD, AS USUAL)
2. Tell me something concrete that you're thankful for. (Something you can literally touch, see, etc., not a concept like "hope.")
THANKFUL FOR 10 YEARS COLON-CANCER FREE!
3. You knew the flip side was coming: Share about something intangible that you're thankful for.
MY FRENCH-PRESS COFFEE POT
4. Share one vivid Thanksgiving memory. It doesn't have to be deep or meaningful, just something that remains etched in your memory.
HELPING MY MOM MIX THE SOUTHERN DRESSING WITH MY HANDS IN THE LARGEST BOWL (THE TUPPERWARE CAKE CARRIER)...THE GOOEY, WETNESS OF THE DRESSING WHILE SQUISHING IN EACH EGG AS THEY WERE ADDED BETWEEN MY VERY-CLEAN FINGERS STILL REMINDS ME OF ALL THE SOUTHERN TRADITIONS FROM MY MOTHER AND GRANNY.
5. What is one thing that you know beyond a shadow of a doubt is going to happen this Thanksgiving because it always does, year after year?
MY DOUBLE SINK FULL OF DISHES AND EVERYONE THAT SHOULD BE HELPING CLEAN UP WILL BE FALLING ASLEEP ON THE COUCH FROM CARB 'OVERLOAD'
6. Do your pets get any left-overs?
WHEN MURPHY, MY PEEK-A-POO, WAS STILL IN THE WORLD HE'D NIBBLE ANY LEFTOVER APPLE CORES... WHILE I HELD IT FOR HIM...(THIS TRADITION STARTED WHEN I WAS PREGNANT...I CRAVED APPLES, AND AFTER I FINISHED EACH ONE, HE WOULD SIT IN MY LAP AND NIBBLE THE APPLE CORE WITH HIS FRONT TEETH AS I ROTATED IT FOR HIM)...I EVEN HAVE VIDEO OF HIS ENTERTAINING US WITH HIS SCARFING DOWN THE APPLE EDGES...I SURELY MISS HAVING THAT LITTLE BUNDLE IN MY LAP...
7. Does your family pray before the big meal? If so, do you join hands while seated, stand, repeat a formal prayer or offer a spontaneous prayer? Who does the praying?
WE DO PRAY BUT WE TYPICALLY DON'T JOIN HANDS, UNLESS WE HAVE FRIENDS VISITING, THEN WE ENJOY JOINING HANDS WITH THEM
8. Will you be watching football in the afternoon? If not, what will you be doing?
ARE THERE PEOPLE WHO DON'T WATCH FOOTBALL IN THE AFTERNOON??
9. There are two distinct camps of people on this issue: How do you feel about oysters in the dressing/stuffing?
FIRST OFF, MY FAMILY DOESN'T 'STUFF'...WE MAKE PANS OF DRESSING THAT ARE MOIST INSIDE BUT CRUNCHY ON TOP AND AROUND THE EDGES...AND IN OUR FAMILY NONE OF THOSE PANS EVER INCLUDES OYSTERS...WE HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO PUT CHICKEN PIECES IN OUR DRESSING AS IT COOKS. THE ONLY THING INSIDE MY BRINED BIRD IS ORANGES, LEMONS AND/OR VIDALIA ONIONS, WHICH GET TOSSED AFTER IT'S DONE COOKING.
10. Do you consider yourself informed about the first Thanksgiving?
YES, BUT I CAN'T DO IT JUSTICE...SO GO HERE: Plimoth Plantation, Plymouth MA
11. Which variety of pie will you be enjoying?
SWEET POTATO W/ WHIPPED CREAM
12. Do you feel for the turkey?? (This is a humorous throw back question related to the 12th question in another Random Dozen!)
NO FEELING FOR THE TURKEY...HE'LL BE BRINED THE NIGHT BEFORE BEFORE GOING INTO THE SMOKER :)
"Call to me and I will answer you
and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know."