Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Worldly Flocks

Jesus is my Shepherd who never leaves me. When I encounter the "worldly flocks", do I point them to the shepherd?

Know them: John 10:15 “I put the sheep before myself, sacrificing myself if necessary”.
Go before them: Psalms 78:52 “…he led his people out like sheep, took his flock safely through the wilderness”.

Seek “good pasture”: Psalms 23:2 “lush meadows; quiet pools to drink.”

Number them: Jeremiah 33:13 You'll see flocks everywhere - in the mountains around the towns of the Shephelah and Negev, all over the territory of Benjamin, around Jerusalem and the towns of Judah - flocks under the care of shepherds who keep track of each sheep.'

Watch over them: Luke 2:8 There were sheepherders camping in the neighborhood

Be Tender: Genesis 33:13 And the flocks and herds are nursing, making for “slow going”. If I push them too hard, even for a day, I'd lose them all. Psalms 78:71 His good heart made him a good shepherd; he guided the people wisely and well.

Defend from attacks: Samuel 17:34-36 "I've been a shepherd, tending sheep for my Father. Whenever a lion or bear came and took a lamb from the flock, I'd go after it, knock it down, and rescue the lamb. If it turned on me, I'd grab it by the throat, wring its neck, and kill it. Lion or bear, it made no difference - I killed it. And I'll do the same to this Philistine pig who is taunting the troops of God-Alive. God, who delivered me from the teeth of the lion and the claws of the bear, will deliver me from this Philistine."

Search for the lost and straying: Ezekiel 34:16 I'll go after the lost, I'll collect the strays

Attend when sick; celebrate the found: Ezekiel 34:16 “…doctor the injured,…build up the weak ones and oversee the strong ones so they're not exploited. Luke 15:4 'Celebrate with me! I've found my lost sheep!' Count on it - there's more joy in heaven over one sinner's rescued life than over ninety-nine good people in no need of rescue.