Thursday, April 24, 2008

FROSTIES, PLEASE DON'T GO!

News Flash from USA TODAY: DUBLIN, Ohio (AP) — The owner of Arby's said Thursday that it is buying Wendy's International (WEN) in an all-stock deal worth $2.34 billion.

I don’t know about you, but I’m afraid of the consequences this will have at all Wendy’s restaurants…Arby’s serves only “Pepsi” products, yuuuuuck! Oh well, business decisions change the world every day…Pray the “frosties” don’t go away! Speaking of consequences, His Word tells us “sin” has consequences—natural results for wrong decisions or possibly an understanding of God disciplining His children. My parents disciplined me and my sister as children. And by the way, our responses to these “disciplinings” made a difference in the length of my sentence! Did you ever hear any of these?



"Clothes placed in the hamper will get washed." my Mother would say. The consequence if not in the hamper: you wash them or wear them dirty! Let’s just say, when I moved out I knew how to do laundry : )

My Daddy would chip in and say "Your Mother serves good suppers--you’re expected to “at least try” everything on the table.” If you didn’t eat, another meal will not be prepared and no snacks after supper (...we could eat yesterday’s leftovers though).


What if we began seeing teens moving away from the “specificity” our society has taught them...becoming adults who don't “ignoring their own responsibilities”? …picking up after themselves in homes, parks, restaurants; putting trash in the garbage rather than leaving it throughout the church following worship, not telling policemen “it’s a stupid law” when they run the red light. Maybe, one day.

My Mom specifically told me, “When you’re at whichever host’s table, taste and try to eat their dinner...show your appreciation for their having invited you.” Its a matter of showing your family-taught manners to friends and family you love. I hurt when I seeing someone refuse a host's lovingly-prepared food not getting eaten because it doesn’t “meet the guest’s expectation, no matter what the reason.” Both my parents encouraged us to step out and try new things, and they let us fail while we were still in their house (so they could later talk us through the low spots and ask what we had learned). They taught us how to pick ourselves up and start again--to understand the concept of “not always having our way” all the time.

Consequences…yes; Thank you, Jesus, for blessing me with a Mother who quoted and showed us Proverbs 3:11-12: “Do not despise the Lord's discipline (or my Daddy's) and do not resent his rebuke (or my Mother's), because the LORD (and my parents) discipline those he (they) love(s), as a father the son he delights in."

Now I’m quoting Proverbs.
Where are you seeing parents instilling consequences in their children?