Monday, April 21, 2008

Yungins! Are You Listening?


Jesus was on a “healing-relationships” mission from Heaven for His Creation’s sake, and He often sought time with God in prayer while he was present on Earth. He sought to teach us THE TRUTH, HEAL the sick, FEED the hungry, and often time would run out and he would be drained and tired from all those who "pulled at Him".


It saddens me--on Friday,April 18, we lost a “mentor of selfless servant hood”. Selfishly sad because I will not get to enjoy hugging and talking with one of Jesus' saints any more in this lifetime--Dorothy Pepper opened her eyes one last time, looked to Heaven and was ushered into Eternity. At 99 years young, her eyes still danced like a young woman and her tight-lipped kisses were sought treats by us “yungins” when she was able to sit in the middle section on the second pew in the church, wrapped in her soft sweater. Her lipstick on your lips was a trophy, for sure…you see, when she was sharing her heart with you, she would peck you on the lips!
WOW! 1909-2008, I watched how she made her “dash” count; she richly loved and taught her family (and all those around her) about Jesus’ love…in everything she did. He welcomed her with loving arms and she was able to give Him a peck!

Throughout my Mom’s life she has “bent over backwards” to please friends and family around her--cooking, cleaning, sewing, hugging, caring. She is my mentor for “heartfelt” service to those she loves and to those she doesn’t even know, “giving herself and her time away”. How grateful I am to have her legacy of prayer, singing, and teaching. She loves Jesus with her whole heart and made it her job to show that to me, my sister and my Daddy. Her tears still often come as she shares what He has done in her life! That “selflessness” way of life appears to be harder to find these days, and I strive to leave this same thing for my daughter, so His love will be passed on throughout generations. (I'm nowhere as good at it as she is because I often let me get in the way.)

Lord, help me remember: “You will fight for me; I need only to be still” (Exodus 14:13). You are my refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble (Psalm 46:1). You will lead me when I am blind by ways I have not known, along unfamiliar paths You will guide me; You will turn the darkness into light before me and make the rough places smooth. These are the things You will do; You will not forsake me (Isaiah 42:16).

As my Mommy and Mrs. Pepper taught me,


  1. READ His Word
  2. Pray constantly … confess often
  3. Obediently walk
  4. Listen…He’ll make His voice loud and clear!
  5. Dwell on His Promises

Jeremiah 33:3

“Call to me and I will answer you; and tell you great and unsearchable things!”