Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I GET IT, BUT HAVE TO THROW IT BACK...

The marketing world THRIVES on voluminous change, every year, month, day and sometimes down to the minute...what's new, what's the latest 'gossip'...and sports doesn't fall far behind.

Sports being so 'fan' driven and 'sponsor' driven puts much light on things that sometimes should have NO light.

In regards to being a big sports fan, I am one, kinda. Kinda like I am a music fan, crossing many of the the lines and know a little about A LOT:

like me some college SEC football,

like me some professional baseball (even keeps stats on pre-printed scorer's cards for FUN)

like me some pro tennis (until someone
puts their foot in their mouth and makes the game a momentary embarrassment)

like me LOTS of music types (classical to country, back across
contemporary christian and all the way to bluegrass)...but I surely cringe at
outbursts by 'cool' types...the music varieties intrigue me, I listen to lots of them.

Thank you, Jesus, for giving me a 'like' for MANY things...

but only a LOVE for Your Word, Your presence,

the family You've given me

and a loving Christian family to corporately worship with as I walk this life.

I must limit myself though...being intentional to step away because I could find myself getting too deeply entrenched in any of the "seasons", "celebrities" or gossip.

When it gets crazy or ugly, shouldn't I TURN "it" OFF? Maybe I'll crochet.


WHAT do you do when your sports shows, movies or TV become offensive or derogatory?

What does Christ call us TO DO?

Blessings,

Jer. 33:3
"Call to me and I will answer you
and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know."

8 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

Great question! The first thing that happens is the Holy Spirit convicts me as I get an unsettled feeling in my stomach that I am doing something I am not supposed to. Then I turn it off, and read my Bible or one of my many Christian books I have going at the moment and pray.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Mocha with Linda said...

I rarely watch TV anymore. I used to. I used to be a HUGE fan of ER - never missed it. But it got to where I realized it was making me "overlook" things that were against my beliefs for the sake of entertainment. Same with some other shows, including some morning talk shows. Part of being in the world and not of the world for me is not soaking myself in the Hollywood hype.

Same for sports. I enjoy a football game now and then and get interested in the March Madness, especially if the Longhorns are playing. But the time and energy and mental effort that people expend over that just blows me away. Wonder what would be the effect if they spent some of that time/effort reading and memorizing Scripture instead of learning team statistics!.

But let me be clear - I am perfectly capable and guilty of wasting time in plenty of other ways! LOL I've just decided that TV is one of the more unhealthy way to do it.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Walk away; make deliberate choices (as you said) to not fill my mind with the junk! A few years ago, God prompted me to release my love for country music and replace it with praise and worship music. I did so; wasn't that hard. Now, I rarely listen to it. It's not that much is wrong with it, and I'm certainly not bound by legalism, it's just that when I listen, my mind takes me places it doesn't belong.

It harkens my thoughts to another season when my life was drenched with willful sin, and honestly, it sickens me to even recall it. So, I walk away from it.

Now I do love me some Sugarland and Keith Urban, but even then, I've learned where to shelve them in my heart!

peace`elaine

Sassy Granny ... said...

Well, I must confess I'm an Animal Planet junkie. So far they've remained sane and unoffensive. Should that change, I'd probably read more. I ought to anyway.

I enjoy other programming, but I try to stay aloof enough that were I to miss a day, week or month I'd be non-plussed.

It's a process.

Hugs,
Kathleen

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Great post and good thougths to ponder.....Thanks for sharing

Robin @ Be Still and Know said...

It's OK that I don't get it because I know that you do get it so if I need to get it I know where to go to find out what I didn't get....

Well maybe not..

R

Kim said...

No tv means don't have to deal with that. But I find I have to be careful what I read though. More so than even movies. For some reason the written word stays with me longer and stronger than the visual images from film.

Music is so powerful and I've learned I have to be a little more discerning than I used to be. It can change my mood or thoughts so quickly. For good or bad.

Greg C said...

I get an uneasy feeling and usually turn it off. I feel that if they can't find good sponsors they shouldn't be on TV.