Tuesday, March 24, 2009

THREE-OR-MORE TUESDAY...Mantle Memories


The Gypsy's Corner is sponsoring THREE OR MORE TUESDAY...please visit her and see the various other "THREES"!!

My THREE involves MY GRANNY...My Granny, whose pictures now have a special spot on my mantle...a small, little area holding very dear memories and wanting to know each person IN each picture.

In the front is my granny, who birthed 7 children, all but one was birthed in her home with no anesthesia, wow! She passed into Glory in 1995 and I still long to sit at her feet again. Wisdom doesn't seem a strong enough word when trying to describe her preciousness to me.

Memories of baking teacakes, shucking corn and shelling peas... drying apple slices for friend apple pies...singing gospel songs with Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty.

She was ALWAYS talking to Jesus...whispering her prayers throughout the house as she did her chores...picking up crumbs off the table with her ring finger... as she sipped her coffee from her cup (which always sat in a saucer)....living alone for 32 years after my grandaddy (Buddy) died at 53yo...directing the church choir when she was 85yo...yep, what a blessing to love my strong grandmother...she would have been 99yo this May.

Pawpaw is on the right with the two little girls, my cousin and my sister...I was 2 when he passed...wish I could have known him so I could have heard for myself his stories of practical jokes he played on his guy friends...I heard one involved chocolate Exlax! hhhhmmmm


The large crowd sitting to the left is my Granny's legacy...My grandmother's mother is the teen girl sitting at the far right with the little flower corsage on her blouse and her hair done in a back-combed pompadour (I've always wondered if this was a family shot after her "graduation" in1902 ...my granny was born to her in 1910). Granny's mother died after her son's birth when Granny was 10...and Granny raised him.Posted by Picasa




Posted by Picasa


What THREE can you share with us today??


1 John 5:6-8
This is the one who came by water and blood—Jesus Christ. He did not come by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth. For there are three that testify: the Spirit, the water and the blood; and the three are in agreement.



17 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Very sweet. Aren't you glad we have HOPE of seeing them again. What a day of rejoicing that will be.

Also, glad you're doing the 30 x 5!

Greg C said...

Oh I am unprepared for this quiz. Let me think of three.....Faith Hope and Love and the greatest of these is Love. I was recently reminded of my grandmother when I saw a woman that looked just like her. Great memories.

Kim Chalfant said...

Precious memories. Makes me think of my Grandmothers. Thanks for sharing.

Technonana said...

Okay, Well... I think somewhere down the line your grandmother and my Mammy must have been kin. I could have written pretty much those same words about my mother's mother!!!
I found a recipe for old fashioned Tea Cakes, one of my favorite treats as a child!! Of course they were even better with Hot Tea!! (must be my Irish roots?)
thanks for the memories!!
Love,
Sharon

ellen b. said...

What a great heritage to have a granny who loved Jesus! Loved to see the old photos and hear a little about your granny! Blessings.

Leila said...

I love your sweet memories!
Thanks for stopping by LMLD!

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) said...

Beautiful pictures...lovely stories! Thanks for sharing on this Three or More Tuesday! Susan

Donna@designson47thstreet said...

Your grandmother sounds like a wonderous woman. I know you cherish all your memories of her.

Thanks for visiting my blog today!

Donna

Linda C said...

I love these photos. This is such a great post with so much history!

Very interesting to read about your family:)

Thanks for stopping by my place and meeting our little new granddaughter:)

Happy 3OMT!

Linda C

Shanda said...

Wow, what a spirit granny had. Thanks for visiting.
Shanda

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

It is precious to read about your grandmother...I often miss the wisdom my grandparents would have shared with me if they were still alive. God bless!!
Carrie

Faye said...

I ENJOYED THIS SO MUCH.PLEASE CHECK OUT MY BLOG.I HAVE SOME IMPORTANT INFO ON THERE I WOULD LIKE FOR YOU TO HELP ME PASS ON.PLEASE KEEP US IN YOUR PRAYERS!

Susanne said...

What lovely memories you have to go with your pictures. I really enjoyed reading this! Thanks for sharing it. It makes me really miss my grandmas and grandpas. I only ever met them once in my whole life. They lived in Europe and I visited them when I was 10. Seems like a lifetime ago.

Neabear said...

I enjoyed your three or more post. So special to have those old pictures. Thanks for visiting me. That was a November post you left your comment on. Wow! Yeah we did have fun doing the the Bathroom Diva pictures.

lmerie said...

How nice! Memories of loved ones are great! I love old pictures too, glad you shared!

Gypsy aka Tam said...

I'm so sorry for being so late visiting you, but I'm so glad I finally was able to and read your precious 'Three Or More' post. What wonderful memories, thank you so much for sharing.
Have a wonderful week,
Tam

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

What a lovely post and you have such wonderful memories of your grandmother. Having the photos out of her is so sweet and I am sure that you think of her each and every day.

Ok...chocolate Exlax!??? Oh my!

tee hee

xo
Becky