IT'S GETTING CLOSE TO EASTER, AND I WANTED TO PARTICIPATE IN A BLOG CARNIVAL...
Easter Frills and Thrills Blog Carnival on "Becoming Me".
EMPTY TOMB COOKIES
Side note: I didn't make them on Easter Eve because we go to early church, and I didn't want to do this at 6:30am...but if you attend later services, you might wan to make these on Easter Eve, right before bedtime for the kiddies.
Preheat the oven to 300--this is VERY important! Read the corresponding Bible passage while adding the necessary ingredients. SERVES 12
1 cup whole pecans, in plastic baggie
1 teaspoon vinegar
3 egg whites
1 pinch salt
1 cup sugar
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees--you MUST do it now.
2. Read John 19:1-3 ~ Jesus was beaten for our sins; beat the nuts with a cooking mallet; set aside.
3. Read John 19:28-30 - Jesus drank something like vinegar (gall), sniff the fragrance, dip finger in and taste, too; place the vinegar in a mixing bowl.
4. Read John 10:10-11 - Egg whites symbolize Jesus' holy, innocent life; add whites to the bowl with the vinegar.
5. Read Luke 23:27 - the bitter tears of the women; taste a few grains, remember your own sins; add the salt to the bowl.
6. Read Psalm 34:8 and John 3:16 - Sweet salvation! Taste and see; add to the bowl.
7. Crank up the mixer and let it go while you read from Isaiah 1:18 and John 3:1-3; let the mixer go for about 12-15 MINUTES; this needs to be VERY stiff!
8. Read Matthew 27:57-60 - Fold the nuts into the egg-sugar mixture; this symbolizes the rocks in the garden.
9. Using a scoop or knife & spoon, drop by spoon into mounds (to resemble a rocky tomb); put into the oven and turn it OFF!
10. Read Matthew 27:65-66 – the tomb is sealed; use two pieces of tape
(5-6 inches each). Seal the door edges with the tape.
11. Read John 16:20 & 22 - Consider these passages, then go to bed!
12. NEXT MORNING: Read Matthew 28:1-9 - Jesus is risen! Behold--the empty tomb! Unseal the oven door, take out the cookies, break or bite one in half -- it should be hollow inside---empty---just like the Tomb!
13. He is risen! He is risen indeed! Hallelujah!
Hope you have as fun a time making them as we did...it's a great way to share Jesus and his journey with your child. Leave me a message with your thoughts and/or your encounters with "the tomb".
And he said to them, "Do not be amazed; you are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who has been crucified He has risen; He is not here; behold, here is the place where they laid Him.