Monday, March 9, 2009

VINEGAR?? REALLY??




IT'S GETTING CLOSE TO EASTER, AND I WANTED TO PARTICIPATE IN A BLOG CARNIVAL...

Easter Frills and Thrills Blog Carnival on "Becoming Me".
http://becomingmethruhim.blogspot.com/2009/03/wondrous-cross-easter-frills-and.html


Side note: I didn't make them on Easter Eve because we go to early church, and I didn't want to do this at 6:30am...but if you attend later services, you might wan to make these on Easter Eve, right before bedtime for the kiddies.

EMPTY TOMB COOKIES
Preheat the oven to 300--this is VERY important! Read the corresponding Bible passage while adding the necessary ingredients. SERVES 12

1 cup whole pecans, in plastic baggie
1 teaspoon vinegar
3 egg whites
1 pinch salt
1 cup sugar
cooking mallet
kitchen mixer
masking tape
Bible


Directions
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees--you MUST do it now.
2. Read John 19:1-3 ~ Jesus was beaten for our sins; beat the nuts with a cooking mallet; set aside.
3. Read John 19:28-30 - Jesus drank something like vinegar (gall), sniff the fragrance, dip finger in and taste, too; place the vinegar in a mixing bowl.
4. Read John 10:10-11 - Egg whites symbolize Jesus' holy, innocent life; add whites to the bowl with the vinegar.
5. Read Luke 23:27 - the bitter tears of the women; taste a few grains, remember your own sins; add the salt to the bowl.
6. Read Psalm 34:8 and John 3:16 - Sweet salvation! Taste and see; add to the bowl.
7. Crank up the mixer and let it go while you read from Isaiah 1:18 and John 3:1-3; let the mixer go for about 12-15 MINUTES; this needs to be VERY stiff!
8. Read Matthew 27:57-60 - Fold the nuts into the egg-sugar mixture; this symbolizes the rocks in the garden.
9. Using a scoop or knife & spoon, drop by spoon into mounds (to resemble a rocky tomb); put into the oven and turn it OFF!
10. Read Matthew 27:65-66 – the tomb is sealed; use two pieces of tape
(5-6 inches each). Seal the door edges with the tape.
11. Read John 16:20 & 22 - Consider these passages, then go to bed!
12. NEXT MORNING: Read Matthew 28:1-9 - Jesus is risen! Behold--the empty tomb! Unseal the oven door, take out the cookies, break or bite one in half -- it should be hollow inside---empty---just like the Tomb!
13. He is risen! He is risen indeed! Hallelujah!

Hope you have as fun a time making them as we did...it's a great way to share Jesus and his journey with your child. Leave me a message with your thoughts and/or your encounters with "the tomb".

Mark 16:6
And he said to them, "Do not be amazed; you are looking for Jesus the Nazarene, who has been crucified He has risen; He is not here; behold, here is the place where they laid Him.

12 comments:

Muthering Heights said...

I just learned about these...they sound so cute! I'd love to give them a try some time!

Gretchen said...

You all are so creative. I think we will try these this year. We've kinda grown out of the resurrection eggs, and this would be fun for the kids to do with little supervision on my end. Blessings.

The Inept Aspirant said...

Wow! that sounds great! I'll definately have to try it.

Paula (SweetPea) said...

This is cool. This would be an awesome thing for children's church or Sunday school except there isn't enough time to all the empty tomb over night. Great idea.

Mrs. Sidney said...

I am going to print this out and do it with my family the night before Easter, great idea!!

Denise said...

Thanks for sharing.

Greg C said...

What a great idea. I may have to try it on Easter.

Jenn said...

Hi, I tried to leave a comment earlier but the code to type wouldn't come thru for some reason. Thanks for this idea-I want to use it when my son gets a lil older. You mentioned a CWO to submit my blog entry to? I am not sure what that is, but may just submit if you tell me more:) Thanks!

Jules from "The Roost" said...

What a wonderful idea! Thanks! Also thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

Mary Ellen (megardengal) said...

What an awesome way to teach children about Jesus! I am going to save this for future use- too bad I didn't know about this when kiddos were little!!
blessings
mary

Kim said...

I'm wondering what our Easter will be like this year. We always had a sunrise service and breakfast on Easter Sunday at our home church. Maybe I'll be able to make these cookies to share with our little group :-)

Thanks for your encouragement! You're a brave woman to forego carbs. I could maybe do without the bread and possibly even the pasta, but the potatoes? No I don't think so. Gotta have me some potatoes on a regular basis :-) But I'll be praying for you as you turn your back on all that is laden with carbs and go forth into the wilderness of all that is green and good for you!

Mrs.Naz@BecomingMe said...

I really want to do these this year. My daughter is 5 now and I think she will really get this. Thank you so much for sharing and participating.